Sunday, February 8, 2009

It's ALIIIIIIVE!


Well, I'm still alive. Were some of you wondering?

As promised, I forgot to check other peoples' blogs, forgot how to update my blog, forgot about the blog altogether . . . but I didn't forget you. (It's a communal "you" at this point. To all the people I should be calling on the phone, I apologize.)

I've started a new semester at my graduate program at Georgetown in DC. It's an interesting experience, to say the least. I'm TAing this semester with a person who has taught for years in the prison and at first I was worried. After all, on the first day of class, she goes face-to-face with one of the 6'7" basketball players (one of my students) and says "If you and I go head-to-head, you. will. lose." Well! 

But we've got the "good cop-bad cop" relationship down well now, and the students go to me for approachability. Unfortunately, "good cop" can't teach very well, but we're working on that. I'll be teaching Frankenstein this month and am about scared senseless. First class did not go well due to some under-planning (she gave me 35 minutes to teach instead of the promised 5) and it consisted of me asking "So, uh, what do you guys think of when you hear the word 'Gothic?' Yeah? Interesting. Well, uh. . . what do you think of when you hear the word . . . 'Romantic?' Great. Let me write this down on the board. . ."

The good news is that I am bound to make an improvement. If, you know, I stop procrastinating and finish reading the book I'm about to teach. Yeah. But I'm getting some snide remarks on not updating my blog.

I told you not to expect anything, so I don't feel the least bit compassionate to your pleas. But yes, I am alive. . . :)

Oh, on a side-note, I broke three ribs from a cough. How is that even possible? I'm trying to come up with a good cover-story (because GU students might not appreciate an invalid). Ideas thus far are 1. cage-fight. 2. stampeding (insert animal here) 3. roommate came at me with a golf club.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

oooo I nominate the roommate with the golf club! And somehow "single ladies" MUST be encorporated... it adds a certain level of believability...

Andrea said...

All very believable explanations, but I like the stampede idea. It has a Lion King feel to it (my favorite Disney). Maybe as you tell it you can spontaneously break into song like on Scrubs (I don't watch that show but I hear they do that). Maybe "Hakunamatata".

Mark said...

Why should the three be treated as if they were mutually exclusive? The trifecta makes for a better story.