Sunday, February 8, 2009

Inauguration Day







Superman in the "Seinfeld and Superman" Visa Commercials once said, infamously, "hindsight is 20/20." Unlike Superman, I haven't locked my keys in the car yet, but I do think it's a good idea to retroactively blog. Since, you know . . . I haven't been.

So it is without further ado I present to you: INAUGURATION DAY!

The day started out at 5 a.m. After making breakfast for (and with) a crew who had gone salsa dancing until 2 a.m. we all somnambulistically (yay, I get to use my favorite word!) emerged into the 18 degree weather of D.C. to witness the infamous event.

The metro was alive with bright, happy faces. (For those D.C. natives, you will know that, hour aside, this is unheard of. I learned in my first week not to smile, look at, acknowledge, or well-wish anyone on the metro. Those who do talk to me, I can now safely label "tourist." Only a totally random aside from my already lengthening aside . . . I have never seen quite so many Romance novels--no, not the ones I'm studying; the ones with Fabio on the cover and contents that make me blush--in one place before. I guess this is another reason why people don't want to be looked at on the metro. I know I wouldn't, and I'm only reading semi-pornographic 18th Century Gothic Literature. I guess maybe I understand Brigham Young's snide remarks about novels. . .) What? Oh. Obama. Right.

After walking a good distance to the Mall, we managed to secure ourselves some spots by the second teleprompter. Pretty close, as my photos indicate, but we couldn't see Obama directly. In fact, we didn't see him for many hours. Our panic-induced rush on the Capitol resulted in about 7 hours of idling, during which time I lost feeling in my feet and put my hands up to my mouth to keep them warm. Some kind folks near us let us use one of their fleece blankets, a shock blanket, and several hand warmers. (I really had wished I had had more foresight to purchase fuel for my handwarmer, rather than try to track some down the night before. Apparently the several million tourists also had had the same idea as me.)

Finally the time came. It was momentous. I was disappointed to hear people boo Bush (really? He's on his way out. Can't you just let him exit with some dignity?) but was happy at least for their support of Obama. I hope it lasts. And I hope I feel my toes again soon.

No comments: