Now. I'm no fashion blogger. But today Edleman--a website for
But after looking at their site (and in particular falling absolutely in LOVE with the bookbook they have posted there) I thought it might be fun to congregate some of the things I have had my eye on. Or, in the case of the chocolate and soda, had my eye on two hours ago and readily consumed. It was about this moment that I realized: yes. yes, indeed. I do seem to want to be a hipster. (And considering that my friend Kellie's definition of hipster is "someone who denies being a hipster," I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I guess it's a pure Catch-22. Oh, wait! There is a vintage-style t-shirt with THAT image on it, too! I can look both retro and well-read a the same time, for $40. At any rate, in acknowledging hipsterness, I'll never actually attain it. Which I'm somehow very okay with, considering my self-consciousness of, oh, buying $40 shirts with retro book covers on them.)
Actually more on that. I think, certainly, I have the hipster tendencies. I have big, dark glasses. Have three bookshelves. Frequent organic food aisles more and more frequently. And really, really, really want a fixie. You know, buying a 1970's racing bike frame and fixing it up? And yet my friends reassure me, anxiously, that I'm not hipster. All the symptoms are there. (Except I've mercifully avoided the androgynous Bebian haircut.)
I'm going to avoid the obnoxious cyclical, pseudo-philosophical discussion on whether a person's classification can be defined by one's self or if it's up to external interpretation and perception. Mostly because it will inevitably move towards Stanley Fish and I hate, hate, hate Stanley fish. But also because people like Magritte (whom I flippantly and pretentiously quoted for this blog title) have already done a better job. Also: I haven't read any theory recently, and I'm no longer technically in academia, so I'm afraid I would just sound like a would-be academic rather than a real academic. You know, those "independent scholars" that people roll their eyes at at conferences.
So, really, there is no point to putting this up here, I suppose, except to prove, I guess, that the 1 hour I spent congregating these items into one image wasn't a total self-indulgence. Oh, who am I kidding. This blog, if anything, screams self-indulgence.
Mostly when I look at the above, I see awesome. And also one paycheck's worth of merchandise. Dangerous.

No comments:
Post a Comment